CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Garrett aka SpiderMan!

My husband, the science guy, has a lot going on and I thought I would write a post about it, this makes it the easiest to explain.

Garrett has been working on a research project at ASU this semester, which he plans to continue thru May. He started last Fall and he works with one of the Grad students studying Habronattus pyrrithrix or in more simple terms the Jumping Spider. Garrett and Lisa are studying mate choice and coloration. Here are a few pics of him at work as SpiderMan, it includes him feeding the spiders Drosophilia aka fruit flies with a neat little contraption that he invented himself:





There are over 170 spiders in the research and some are kept in a climate controlled chamber seen below:



These particular male spiders will have a red band across the face once it has matured. Garrett will paint the red markings black and study the effects it has on those spiders being chosen as a mate. The maturity of the femail spiders is also studied and the spiderlings are taken care of and raised to be a later part of the research project. Garrett has also done some study on the effects of coloration among the prey of the spiders, too involving crickets. I didn't, however, capture any photos of that. Garrett spends a lot of time in the lab and on the weekends I usually go with him, since I miss my lab days...
He is getting such good lab experience and building up those letters of recommendations just in time for Med School applications, yay! So, we shall see what he decides to do come May graduation.
I included the last pic, because I thought it was pretty neat... do you think the science department is a bunch of Democrats?

0 comments: